The training under SDI scheme will be provided by various VTPs under Central Government, State Governments, Public and Private Sector and Industrial establishments. VTPs will provide counselling & vocational guidance, training facilities as per norms, impart good quality training, post training support to trainees in getting employment, maintain data base on trainees trained and the outcome of the training. They will track the trainees for three years or till they get gainfully employed. VTP will also be required to have close networking with the industry for immediate placement of the trainees. They will also maintain accounts, ensure proper utilisation of funds and submit reports and utilisation certificates as per prescribed schedule. They will follow various instructions issued by the committees or any other authority from time to time. All VTPs should have necessary powers to collect the training fee from trainees. They should utilise fee collected and funds received from DGET for meeting various expenses for imparting training and providing post training support services. They should also have powers to reimburse training fee to successful trainees out of funds received from DGET. All VTPs must have a broad band internet connection.
• Following categories of Educational and Training Institutes having requisite facilities for conducting training courses would be eligible for becoming VTP for conducting MES courses:
(i) Institutes (including autonomous institutes) set up by Central Government / State Governments / UT Administrations.
(ii) Private Institutes of repute affiliated/ accredited to a Board / University / Council (NCVT, AICTE etc.) set up by Central Government / State Governments / UT Administrations
(iii) Any other type of institutions/ bodies approved by Apex committee
• MES framework is a new concept for skill development. During 2007-08 i.e. first year of implementation, necessary management structures at National, Regional and State level (Apex committee, NPMC, Regional Cells, State Committees, State Cells) for managing and monitoring the scheme would be setup. Development of assessment tools and learning material would be done. Assessing bodies would be selected. State Governments and other stakeholders would be familiarised with the scheme procedures. Pilot programmes would be run for validating effectiveness of systems and procedures. Therefore, focus during the first year would be on development work and pilot programmes. There would be constraints in terms of reach of assessing bodies as well as budget availability. Accordingly, only 10,000 persons are to be trained / tested in the 2007-08. It would be required to take up implementation in select states (say 2 States/ UTs from each of the regions) and select cities in the first year and then gradually implement the scheme in other States/ UTs. States/UTs which accept terms, conditions and roles of States and ITIs prescribed under the scheme will be eligible to participate in the scheme.
Separation of training delivery and assessment functions are aimed at ensuring better quality. Performance of the VTPs would be closely monitored based on the outputs and outcomes of training provided by them. Rating would be awarded to the VTPs.
The procedure for registration of VTPs is given below:
• DGET will give advertisement for inviting VTPs which wants to run MES courses under SDI scheme to get themselves registered with RDATs. State Govts. may also give advertisements.
• VTPs will apply to the respective State Director dealing with vocational training with a copy to the respective RDAT. VTP will give a certificate that it has necessary training infrastructure to run the programme. If at any stage it is found that VTP has started courses without necessary training infrastructure, its registration will be cancelled.
• State Committees after verifying the records will send the list of recommended VTPs to RDAT for registration.
• If no information is received from the State within 4 weeks from the last date for receipt of application, RDAT can issue registration number to VTPs based on data available with DGET.
• The registered VTPs would be eligible to run MES courses. However, DGET can restrict funding to VTPs.